17/08/2013

Magazine Articles


I've just completed a magazine article for print later this year (November) - entitled:


PATTERNS IN MY LIFE

It details the PATTERNS OF MY LIFE to date (now at its creative journey start) & is the first part of my "inspirational story" which will highlight some of those first 'design ideas' to now be used for future artwork (a more detailed version of the article can be read here too).

As background (in 2009), I decided to ‘update’ myself by writing a ‘blog’ about my (then current) working environment of teaching textile crafts to adults. Soon after, I began another blog on behalf of my students, to record their work in a similar image-based format. It would also help to familiarise myself with ‘new technology’ plus student's work could be viewed by their relatives, friends & potential students. As the 2 blogs slowly grew alongside one another, I decided to enhance them further with information relating to the topics being discussed. Initially, pieces from my textile collection & personal ‘working’ details were added to a set of gallery-style Google web-pages; I repeated this for the students with more web-pages for their completed textile projects.

In 2011, a personal 'creative' journey was planned & with an imminent house & work relocation, I decided that these blog & web pages should now have one main ‘link’ (ie. a gallery) – especially as they could creatively now be used for imaging reference. I had noticed many ‘artists’ displaying their work on-line & thought it may also benefit me & anyone else interested. I began by organising my digital works & collections - not especially easier to accomplish if you’re moving house as well as work! Besides working equipment, actual ‘samples’ & various textile-based collections, I had also accumulated many photos & other information that I hoped to use for future reference ... it too was catalogued.

By the end of 2012 (after moving & unpacking), my ‘infant digital reference library' was ready to be ‘uploaded’ and by early 2013, the first 2 on-line artwork pieces had been displayed under the title “Patterns of Life 1 & 2”.  These will now become the basis for other ‘projects’ as I start to use them as a reference point for both techniques &/or ideas.